R | 1h 35min | Thriller, Sci-Fi, Action
Gamer (2009) Release Dates
- In Theaters: March 04, 2016
- DVD: May 01, 2016
Gamer (2009) Plot & Synopsis
Starring Lloyd Kaufman, Keith David, Dylan Kenin, Gerard Butler, John Leguizamo
Directed by Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor
‘Gamer’ is a high-concept action thriller set in a near future when gaming and entertainment have evolved into a terrifying new hybrid. Humans control other humans in mass-scale, multi-player online games: people play people…for keeps. Mind-control technology is widespread, and at the heart of the controversial games is its creator, reclusive billionaire Ken Castle (Michael C. Hall). His latest brainchild, the first-person shooter game “Slayers,” allows millions to act out their most savage fantasies online in front of a global audience, using real prisoners as avatars with whom they fight to the death.Kable (‘300’‘s Gerard Butler) is the superstar and cult hero of the ultraviolent “Slayers.” Kable is controlled by Simon, a young gamer with rock star status who continues to defy all odds by guiding Kable to victory each week. Taken from his family, imprisoned and forced to fight against his will, the modern day gladiator must survive long enough to escape the game to free his family, regain his identity and to save mankind from Castle’s ruthless technology.
Synopsis: Ken Castle is extremely rich, popular and powerful since he invented and started exploiting the virtual online parallel reality games, in which people can either pay as user or be paid as 'actor' in a system of mind-control. The ultimate version, Slayers, fields death row convicts as gladiators in a desperate dim bid for survival, which no-one made yet. The champion, John 'Kable' Tillman, was scheduled to die just before he'ld gain release, but he persuades his teenage 'handler' to hand over the reins so he can fully use his talents and experience. Thus Kable escapes to freedom, only to be chased illegally by Castle's men, yet fights back all the way to his HQ and challenges his evil hidden plans.
Tagline: In the near future, you don't live to play... you'll play to live.
Storyline: In a future mind-controlling game, death row convicts are forced to battle in a 'Doom'-type environment. Convict Kable, controlled by Simon, a skilled teenage gamer, must survive thirty sessions in order to be set free. Or won't he?
Gamer (2009) Movie Details
- Directors: Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor
- Writers: Mark Neveldine, Brian Taylor
- Cast: Lloyd Kaufman, Keith David, Dylan Kenin, Gerard Butler, John Leguizamo, Zoë Bell, Zoë Bell, Keith Jardine, Aaron Yoo, Milo Ventimiglia, Paul J. Porter, Jaime Powers, Brighid Fleming, Sam Witwer, Alison Lohman, Stephanie Marie Delgado, Ashley Rickards, Dan Callahan, Terry Crews, Jarvis W. George, Jonathan Chase, Amber Valletta, Jai Stefan, Kate Mulligan, Joseph D. Reitman, Sadie Alexandru, Eric Martinez, Ken Smith, Noel Gugliemi, John de Lancie
- Genres: Thriller, Sci-Fi, Action
- Producers: Robert L. Benun, Gary Lucchesi, James McQuaide, Mark Neveldine, Michael Paseornek, Eric Reid, Tom Rosenberg, David Scott Rubin, Brian Taylor, Skip Williamson, Richard S. Wright
- Musicians: Robbie C. Williamson, Geoff Zanelli
- Cinematographers: Ekkehart Pollack
- Editors: Peter Amundson, Fernando Villena, Doobie White
- Runtime: 95 min / 1h 35min
- Year: 2009
- MPAA Rating: R
- Oscars: 0
- Awards: 0
- Nominations: 0
Elapsed Time: 0.0014 seconds, Memory Usage: 0.49MB
© 2017-2019 All rights reserved.