R | 2h 33min | Drama, Sci-Fi
Metropolis (1927) Release Dates
- In Theaters: March 04, 2016
- DVD: May 01, 2016
Metropolis (1927) Plot & Synopsis
Starring Alfred Abel, Anny Hintze, Gottfried Huppertz, Gustav Fröhlich, Georg John
Directed by Fritz Lang
Synopsis: In a futuristic city sharply divided between the working class and the city planners, the son of the city’s mastermind falls in love with a working class prophet who predicts the coming of a savior to mediate their differences.
Tagline: Fritz Lang’s 1927 Masterpiece Now With 25 Minutes of Lost Footage (2010 re-release)
Synopsis: Sometime in the future, the city of Metropolis is home to a Utopian society where its wealthy residents live a carefree life. One of those is Freder Fredersen. One day, he spots a beautiful woman with a group of children, she and the children quickly disappear. Trying to follow her, he is horrified to find an underground world of workers who apparently run the machinery that keeps the Utopian world above ground functioning. One of the few people above ground who knows about the world below is Freder's father, John Fredersen, who is the founder and master of Metropolis. Freder learns that the woman is called Maria, who espouses the need to join the "hands" - the workers - to the "head" - those in power above - by a mediator who will act as the "heart". Freder wants to help the plight of the workers in their struggle for a better life. But when John learns of what Maria is advocating and that Freder has joined their cause, with the assistance of an old colleague. an inventor called Rotwang, who turns out to be But their nemesis goes to works towards quashing a proposed uprising, with Maria at the centre of their plan. John, unaware that Rotwang has his own agenda., makes plans that include shutting down the machines, with the prospect of unleashing total anarchy both above and below ground.
Tagline: Fritz Lang's 1927 Masterpiece Now With 25 Minutes of Lost Footage (2010 re-release)
Storyline: In a futuristic city sharply divided between the working class and the city planners, the son of the city's mastermind falls in love with a working class prophet who predicts the coming of a savior to mediate their differences.
Metropolis (1927) Movie Details
- Directors: Fritz Lang
- Writers: Thea von Harbou, Fritz Lang
- Cast: Alfred Abel, Anny Hintze, Gottfried Huppertz, Gustav Fröhlich, Georg John, Helen von Münchofen, Rudolf Klein-Rogge, Walter Kuehle, Fritz Rasp, Margarete Lanner, Theodor Loos, Rose Lichtenstein, Erwin Biswanger, Hanns Leo Reich, Heinrich George, Arthur Reinhardt, Brigitte Helm, Curt Siodmak, Fritz Alberti, Henrietta Siodmak, Grete Berger, Olaf Storm, Olly Boeheim, Erwin Vater, Max Dietze, Rolf von Goth, Ellen Frey, Helen von Münchofen, Beatrice Garga, Helene Weigel
- Genres: Drama, Sci-Fi
- Producers: Erich Pommer
- Musicians: James Duhamel, Sandro Forte, Gottfried Huppertz, Abel Korzeniowski, Giorgio Moroder, Peter Osborne, Bernd Schultheis, Benjamin Speed
- Cinematographers: Karl Freund, Günther Rittau, Walter Ruttmann
- Runtime: 153 min / 2h 33min
- Year: 1927
- MPAA Rating: R
- Oscars: 0
- Awards: 6
- Nominations: 5
Elapsed Time: 0.0020 seconds, Memory Usage: 0.5MB
© 2017-2020 All rights reserved.